Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why is your side table so big?

We have been in our new home since Thursday.  Well, I stayed here on Friday night and Warren went back to our apartment on Friday night to pick up the Uhaul and bring our furniture with my brothers and nephews.  They did not get here until dinner time.  I, in the mean time, stayed behind and waited for the Comcast man who was supposed to arrive between 11-2.  He got here at 4. I was pissed because I knew that Warren would want to know exactly what the Comcast man said and all the Comcast man said was, "Sign here." 

My mother came to spend the day with me and she followed the Comcast man's every move.  She questioned all of his decisions and demanded extra cable.  My mother is 5'2" (and a half she'd add) and is scary in her elastic Lee jeans.  I can feel her disappointment in me even when she's nowhere near.  She always comes up with solutions for me which I think are stupid and inevitably she is right.  It's so annoying but secretly, I am in awe of this power.  Is it possible that I will one day attain these skills?  Is there in fact some sort of mother's handbook that is passed through generations that makes mothers know everything?  Will I get my hand on this book sometime or will I continue to make poor choices and live with the results?

Finally, we moved in the furniture at about 8:30.  Our living space is much tinier than we had anticipated and our coffee table is now a rather large side table.  My husband loves that table and I love the fact that it is no longer the monstrousity in the middle of the room.  The coffee table was a gift from his grandmother last Christmas.  It was a gift to both of us, but really to Warren because I never actually liked it.  I nodded in agreement when Warren ecstatically pointed out the collection from Crate and Barrel.  I didn't expect that he'd ever mention it again but then only a few months later, there it was wrapped in Christmas paper.  He's already mentioned that we need to buy the matching side table, move the tv and get a new tv stand so that we can put our coffee table in the middle of the room.  I can hardly wait.

My mother came over again today to help set up the house.  I really didn't know where I wanted to put anything and Warren has a lot of opinions.  I really let him come up with the plans because sometimes it's just easier.  Even though the discussion was where my clothes should go, I was stuck relying on my mother and Warren.  I haven't really made decisions like that since college when I just left all of my clothes in plastic bins.  Is it weird that I don't actually like furniture?  I am trying to appreciate it but I just don't.  My parents don't understand why I prefer Ikea to real furniture but the truth is, real furniture is just expensive and brings me no excitement.  I'd rather spend money on something else.  Anything else.  Finally, my mother just said she was going to leave.  I felt like crap and apologized.  Warren was yelling in the other room where to put things and Mom kept asking more questions.  I felt closed in and shut down...only to feel like I was the one at fault.  I often keep my mouth shut so I don't say anything that will hurt others' feelings but then my silence hurts them.  It makes me feel angry that they get upset when I was thinking of their feelings all along.

Well, the house is kind of coming together.  Our bedroom is almost done.  Both bathrooms are finished.  That leaves the guest bedroom and the junk room.  The junk room will be an actual room soon-office then nursery but for now, it's covered in junk.  I have no idea how all of our things fit into a one bedroom apartment for so long. 

I don't even know if I still like anything we own.  I'd kind of like to burn everything and start from scratch.  But then that would mean shopping for furniture.  And we'd probably just buy that entire collection from Crate and Barrel.

3 comments:

  1. My dream furniture purchase is some absolutely ridiculous La-Z-Boy recliner that allows me to never have to do anything ever again that can't happen in the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you must know my grandmother. The chair thing has been working out for her for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently our mothers were separated at birth. Mine does the same thing. I love IKEA and envy anyone who's entire house is bought from IKEA. She thinks IKEA is cheap crap. Well, of course it is. That's why I love it. Also, she comes over and can make me feel like crap in 2 seconds. I read your post and felt like it was my life. Congratulations on your new house! Have fun with all the endless projects.

    ReplyDelete