Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is that mold or spaghetti?

Today, I drove back up to the apartment complex for a pre-inspection.  Ideally, I was going to wipe down a few counters and the inspector was going to tell me how brilliant the apartment looked.  What really happened?  I realized how very much work I had to do and that I was the only person going to do it.

Warren and I drove up there on Sunday to clean the apartment.  When we got up there, he said he didn't feel like cleaning and we just ate at the California Tortilla Kitchen with one of my friends.  Since we were supposed to clean, I wasn't wearing the greatest of outfits and Warren told me that I was wearing the most white trash outfit I own.  That's really saying something considering the shorts I just wore to Bloom.

But I digress...I know I am not the best housekeeper in the world.  If I invite you over, the place will be clean but if you come over unexpectedly, no promises.  Plus, cleaning consists of nothing more than disinfectant wipes.  I hate the smell of chemicals and I don't trust those Method products.  They smell good but I don't think they actually clean anything.  Oh, and using a disinfectant wipe is so much less work than using a cleaner.  I figure if I've disinfected then it must be clean.  Right?  If the answer is no, please don't post on my blog and tell me otherwise.  Ignorance really is bliss.  Oh wait, so back to me not being the best housekeeper in the world.  Well, I really started looking at my appliances/cabinets etc and EW.

In one of the corners under a cabinet, I found some stringy things.  I actually asked myself, "Is this spaghetti or mold?"  The spider that had spun a web around the aforementioned ick did not seem to know the answer either. 

I also learned that just using the scrubbing bubbles toilet wand with disposable wipes does not clean everything.  I won't describe that in detail but I think you get my drift.

As I was moving the ironing board to my husband's SUV, the ironing board slipped from my hand and propped itself up.  I had to call my husband at work to ask how to put it down.  Literally, I had no idea.  I have never used an ironing board.  Once I had one of those miniature ones that Bed Bath and Beyond sells for dorms but mostly, I got it because it was cute.  I also had a little purple iron go with it.  And by "go with it," I mean coordinate with the board, not like actually iron with.  Typically, I iron by spraying things down with Downy Wrinkle Releaser then throwing them in the dryer.  When that inevitably doesn't work, I say a couple swear words then wear the clothes anyway.  I tell myself that the wrinkles will fall out during wear.  I wonder who taught me this lie?  I believe it wholeheartedly though.

Anyway, I decided that I didn't want to drive in rush hour traffic so I headed home around 3:30.  I still hit some traffic but the drive was bearable.  I have another appointment tomorrow with the inspector and this is the real final inspection.  I still have more work to do but hopefully, it will be quick and painless.  Am I lying to myself again?

2 comments:

  1. The cleaning power of lemons:
    http://www.howtodothings.com/family-relationships/how-to-use-lemons-for-cleaning

    Pricier than traditional cleaning supplies, but at least it smells better. Vinegar works wonders too, but I don't know if you want everything smelling like vinegar.

    ReplyDelete